Friday, December 5, 2008

Miss Pansy Month #2




Dear Blossom of Friendship Quilters,

Well, December is here...already. I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving surrounded by love and good food!



I don't know about you, but I've been busy "decking the halls" at my home. It is so much fun to take out and display those Christmas quilts that have been carefully tucked away. I love to open my large storage boxes and find items that I bought last year at the after Christmas sales. What fun displaying new and old treasures. This year I spent quite a bit of time sorting through all the ornaments and set some aside to give to my grown children. I got a little misty-eyed when I unwrapped an ornament that I remember hanging on my Grandmother's tree many decades ago. Isn't that what quilting is all about? Creating heirlooms that everyone will treasure decades from now.

Speaking of treasures, how's your block of the month coming? This block goes quickly as there aren't quite as many pieces as the first block. I suggest that you start sorting all of your fabric by color. Remember to save ALL of your fabric as we will be using it throughout the whole quilt for continuity. I'll post the picture of the border flowers later on in the month. Since December is such a busy month, we will be making fewer flowers for the border.

I'm also enclosing a couple of pictures to show you what I've been up to when I'm not working at the store or working on the Block of the Month.

Here's a darling little quilt that is in the book Comfort and Joy by Mary Hickey. This goes together very quickly and could also be used to decorate a table.




I'm a collector of many things. I love wooden tool boxes and anything that is just plain different. You've probably heard of the phrase "canary in a coal mine". In the little town of Murphys, California, I found a little wooden cage that was used as a canary carrier down into the mines. I've given it a new role to display some of my Jim Shore ornaments.






The next image is a wooden toolbox that I turned on its side to display some of my really little ornaments. The ornament on the top shelf, second from the right is my grandmother's little ornament that made me misty-eyed.




Treasure each day in this special month of December. Decorate, sing carols, spend time with children and recapture the magic of Christmas.


As always,

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment