Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Buttonwood

Hello Everyone,

I have a new project going this week....Buttonwood....which is going to be a new pattern from me in the very near future (well maybe after Christmas!)  I rummaged through my stash of 3 Sisters by Moda and combined them together into a new design.



The fabrics are from several different collections; Madeira, Chocolat, Peace on Earth and Mistletoe Manor.

They have all my required elements, polka dots, stripes, checks and plaids!  The polka dot background fabric was a stark white.  Six tea bags later and some hot water turned it into a nice off-white background and I was good to go.


I've been auditioning different sashing fabrics.  This beige tone-on-tone is at the top of my list so far.  I decided I want to make nine blocks to create a nice-sized wallhanging.  I'm not sure if the blue basket is going to make the final cut.  Thoughts from anyone in blogland?


I thought the baskets were a little plain and needed just a touch of something.  I recalled saving a jar of buttons from my mom's sewing supplies.  The trick was trying to find the jar.  Well, after a bit of searching the lost was found.  The top was a little rusty but the contents were fine.  The patent pending date on the jar was from 1923!  I'm sure this collection of buttons was started by my maternal Grandmother, Emilie Elizabeth Ross in Troy, New York in the 1920's. Wouldn't she and my mom be pleased to know what they valued was being put to good use.


I felt like I had just found a treasure and opened the top and let the magic spill out onto the cutting table.  Had most of these buttons been stored for eighty years?  There were buttons made out of bone, Abalone, glass and who knows what in that little jar.  I started sorting and found some beautiful little buttons.


Once I'd let the Genie out of the bottle, there was no going back inside!  The collection expanded with pride with the thought they were going to be used and freed from their long captivity.


Buttonwood......this one is for you Grandma Ross and Mom.



I hope you all have a great day searching, finding and using lost treasures from the past.

As always,

Lynn

6 comments:

  1. I just love old buttons. And what a wonderful collection you have. Yes your Mom and Grandmother would be thrilled to know you are putting their little treasures to good use :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thrilled to see your new design, Lynn! I love baskets, buttons and yo-yo's!! I also have a jar quite similar to yours started by my grandmother who was a tailor and continued by my mom! Now I have a use for them - oh....wouldn't your grandma and mom be so proud! I love the blue basket, too!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another new design ! I just love your baskets with the little yo-yo's and antique buttons !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn,
    I also have my Mom's and Mother-In-Laws buttons. It is fun to go through them.
    I love the blue basket, but not with the others. Another quilt design....how pretty it is......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this looks interesting. Are those flowers made from yo-yos or one of the other Clover gizmos? The blue basket looks a bit out of place in the foursome but if you use some of the blue in other blocks, I think it could fit in a set of nine blocks. I'm looking forward to more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks wonderful, but I don't think the blue block works so well with the others. Perhaps it would look good on the back?

    ReplyDelete