Friday, September 28, 2012

Starting a Medallion Quilt


Hello Everyone,

I'm just in the beginning stage of designing a medallion quilt.  I've always wanted to design and make one.  The time is now, I'm not getting any younger.  There will be bunches of basket blocks....every color of the rainbow.  I won't tell you the size of this block.  If I did, you'd go fleeing from the room and refuse to make this pattern!  Trust me on this one.....they are going to be adorable.


This basket will be filled with flowers, leaves and some embroidery.  Of course there will be ribbons too.


There has to be a flange......a red and beige check. I would have stitched this down, but I didn't have the right color of red thread.  My mountain friend is off RV'ing at Pismo Beach, so I couldn't raid her thread cabinet in her quilting studio.  Kaaren I needed you yesterday! 


I guess this is going to be a mystery quilt since it is still a mystery to me.  I have the first 56" figured out on graph paper.  I'm old-fashioned when it comes to designing quilts.  I always start on paper first. I have used EQ, but I really need to sit down and master the program.  For now, paper and a sharp pencil with a substantial eraser works for me.


I'll be changing my mind at least a hundred times on this quilt.  I'll know when I get it just right.


I love red.  My kitchen is painted what I call "farm implement red".  The trick with this quilt will be selecting reds that play well together.  I'm excited as the medallion journey begins and I'll be consumed with ideas, fabric swatches, and up to my elbows in applique and tiny little blocks. Gosh that sounds like fun!

Soon,

Lynn

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! It's going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see it!

    Cheery wave!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, no...baskets and medallions, two of my favorite things in the quilt world. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one. Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop with all the wonderful patterns! And all the wonderful colors! You are a temptress!
    It already looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just look at those adorable baskets. Be still my heart ! Really looking forward to seeing your progress on this quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...those little baskets look like a wonderful opportunity to go back to my roots and do some hand piecing. The paper layout looks fantastic & I am completely in love with your feathery tulips.
    You be so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, if those are 1" hst's you have me won over - love tiny. I have EQ and cannot figure it out - the old reliable pad/pencil/graph all work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sure will be fun to watch grow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is what I call being ambitious, Lynn! How exciting. If it all turns out as pretty as the basket --- wait, I know it will!!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete