Sunday, November 6, 2016

Scrappy Leaves Class was in Session

Hello Everyone,
 
Yesterday, the classroom at In Between Stitches was ablaze with Autumn color.  I wished for a drone to fly over to capture and aerial view of the beauty.
 



I was teaching Scrappy Leaves, a quilt designed by Irene Bartos.  The book is out of print, but you can download load it HERE through Martingale.


First of all the girls sorted through their fabrics and organized them by color.


Then they created their swatch color charts.  I had them select all of their background fabrics first.  The leaves will come later.


Think of the sun coming through the leaf canopy to get the right effect.


Quilters help each other and gently make suggestions.  One of the girls created this swatch chart. 


Another one of the girls made a few switcheroos to create a better transition between the colors, and then the final rows just fell into place.

 



The little rolls are going to be the leaves on the background.


Toward the end of the day when the color swatch sheets were done, leaf blocks started to appear.  Once you decide on your backgrounds, the leaf blocks go together quite quickly.








Their quilts are going to be a work of art. 


This is what the girls are working toward.  An autumn quilt to decorate their home for years to come. I love to decorate with my quilt every Fall.  It is on display in my home from September through Thanksgiving.  Except for this year it was down at the shop.


 
Thank you all for the fun day creating magic.  Your quilts are going to be stunning.
 
Soon,
Lynn











7 comments:

  1. Yum! I was looking for your quilt at the cabin and missed it terribly...it was elegantly draped near the TV last visit, tempting me to let it find its way into my arms...I bought the book instead. I know I've seen the book for sale online somewhere recently. Maybe on Connecting Threads or Shabby Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful quilt and great tips on selecting the colors and combinations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color flow in this fun pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I could use those color placement tips! Sadly not my strong suit at all. Perhaps next class you can have that drone fly over the Squash House?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt. What vibrant colors. Love the border too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a wonderful land of beauties for my eyes!
    Brave!!!

    ReplyDelete